Tuesday 16 April 2013

All set for tomorrow, I think!

Short Story

I got the call from the ward about 4ish to say we need to be in for 7.30am tomorrow at Great Ormond Street, that Kate must have no food or milk from 2.30am and only water up to 6.30am.  We think we'll make it, even with our bus from London Bridge on diversion due to Margaret Thatcher's state funeral tomorrow.

Nikki I left settled at my Mums and Kate had her bath and hair wash, as instructed, and has gone to bed on time at 7.30pm.


Long Story:  Kate is having left orbital remodelling surgery tomorrow, Weds 17th April for coronal craniosynostosis at Great Ormond Street Hospital, London.  She is now 18 months old.

I took Kate to play at the Phonenix Centre in Wallington which has a bouncy castle, soft shapes to climb on and castle with slide, as I figured she won't be doing rough & tumble play for a while after the op.  She loves it there anyway and our normal singing class wasn't on today anyway.  She learnt to jump on her own on the castle, a little, for the first time.  She fell asleep on the way back, which was my plan, and allowed me to pack her, my bags and sort out Nikki's things.

She woke after a long while, probably catching up from having us up in the night quite a bit last night, and started saying, "Deedee a soool".  Nikki's at school!  This she repeated over and over and she tried to make me go and get Nikki by getting her shoes and trying to prise the front door open, bless her.


After enjoying getting Nikki from school and a sunny walk home, we had dinner and then packed up the car to take Nikki to Granny's for her 3 days of sleep-over.

Kate making Nikki laugh by poking her finger up her nose!
The hospital rung to confirm we should arrive at 7.30am and fasting 6 hrs before, with water up to 6.30am.  Nikki, doesn't yet know it will actually be 4 days of sleepovers, and maybe 5, and that day 4 will be a sleepover at my sisters, with her cousins who she adores.

Just before I left Nikki she asked to take Kate round the garden in the electric jeep.  They love doing that :)



A brief goodbye for both Kate and I from Nikki and she was off for another spin! Nikki is excited about her sleepovers and was confident in saying, "I know. I'm 5 now", about anything we tried to show her.  She took her doll, Lydia, and her box of things; bandages, blood, oxygen, ECG and heart monitor etc to show Granny properly with the story book showing what will happen to Kate and her recovery.

Back to home and Daddy had come home from work.  We bathed Kate and washed her hair.  She peed on our bedroom floor (Daddy was drying her hair without a nappy on!) so she went back in the bath and then had her milk & went to bed as normal.

Now for dinner, some TV, last minute packing and early bed for us and that's it for today.   I'm feeling ok.  Thanks for all the well-wishes and apologies if you only get a short reply, as I'm getting many, many in all different formats.

I will try to update the blog if I can, when I can over the next few days too.




No comments:

Post a Comment