Monday 22 April 2013

First night & day at home - Day 5 post-op

Kate woke at 12.30 crying.  Obviously, she still needs both Ibuprofen and Paracetamol.   She ended up in our bed and at 4am and again at 6am we gave her another dose of ibuprofen. Her crying woke Nikki at this point but I managed to persuade her to go back to her bed for a while.  By about 7am we were all in our bed together.  It was actually lovely.  Nikki & Kate played all morning whilst getting up & dressed.

Nikki gave her a kiss goodbye.  She was quite excited to be going on the walk to school with a friend and both Nikki & Kate enjoyed waving goodbye to each other.


Kate still isn't eating much but is drinking milk and the hospital didn't seem worried about that, as long as she IS drinking and eating something and it's staying down.  She'll get her appetite back soon, I hope.

We played and played and I sorted washing and things when she slept, then my best friend came to visit with her littlest, who is almost 3, and they played really nicely and gently!

We then went to get Nikki from school and go on to her ballet class.   A few mums knew, and some I saw did not know about the op. I didn't have time to go through the whole thing but everyone was surprised how well she looks, considering what she's been through!   I suppose the swelling has gone right down now and her eyes aren't too puffy, just very bruised looking.

My Mum had Kate while I took Nikki into ballet.  She lives almost opposite where Nikki's ballet class is and it meant I didn't have to explain her black-eyes to all those other mums!

They both ate rather a lot of snacks at my Mum's after ballet so I didn't expect Kate to eat much dinner but she started to cry after a few mouthfuls and then got beside herself.  I looked at my notes on what time I'd given her medicine and she wasn't really due anything yet.  I held off for 15 mins and then gave her another dose of Ibuprofen but this didn't work.  She carried on screaming and cyring a lot and I was wishing hubby's train would hurry up.  Then she made her signs of needing to do a poo.   We had been warned that the medication can make them constipated and she tends to be that way anyway.  An hour and 10 mins later, and 2 small hard stools passed, she was still beside herself screaming hard, pushing me away one minute and cuddling me the next.  That was hard work and can't be good for her head to be straining or crying that hard.

She ate a bit more dinner and had her milk before bed once she'd calmed down.  Nikki went out like a light too.  The Teaching Assistant had come out to ask after Kate and to tell me Nikki was VERY tired at school today.  Not a surprise after the last 5 days staying away and having so much fun!

I shall be checking what times Kate is due medicine and setting an alarm tonight so I can give it to her when it's due as she obviously needs it, and I felt guilty this morning that we hadn't done that last night and she'd woken up in pain/discomfort.




No comments:

Post a Comment