Wednesday 17 April 2013

Morning of surgery, Weds 17th April

We got up at 5.20am & were on the 6.11 train to London Bridge. Kate woke when I put her in her pushchair & had a sip of water just before her 6.30 cut-off.

The journey was fine, and she waved to everyone & said morning. We could see all the barriers & marshals waiting to close the roads at 7.30 for Margaret Thatcher's funeral all around St Paul's Cathedral.

On arriving at Dinosaur ward we went into the main waiting area this time that was filling up with families with kids if all ages waiting for surgery. There are plenty of toys Kate likes & she's had a fun time playing & drawing etc and only a couple of screams while nurses did checks.

Surgeon answered a few questions I had. They will overcompensate her correction as she's still growing.

Dr Britto was stuck in the diversion at 8am & we've been told by one of the anaesthetists that we are 3rd in the list so we're waiting & playing & all thirsty & hungry now!

I can tell when it's almost time as I've seen a few kids get into gowns & the disappear off!

Literally 5 mins later we were 'gown & down', well actually up.

Kate walked herself down the corridor, sometimes running to the theatre. She was suspicious of the nurses and anaethesist and I had to hold her flailing & fighting with the gas until it worked. It doesn't take more than 30 seconds but enough to make her whole fighting body go red! We laid her on the bed, I gave her a big kids & left her with Nikki's pink rabbit my sister had bought her when she was born.

We were shown to Koala ward & ushered to go out and busy ourselves! It's about 10.30am. If we'd hadn't been taken straight away by the nurse I'm sure I'd have broken down.

We're now in the Lagoon cafe watching Margaret Thatchers funeral with tea!

We'd don't expect to hear anything until 4ish so I won't expect to be posting any more until then.








No comments:

Post a Comment